Wonderful post by Carra Riley
who always has so much to teach us and so generously shares her knowledge.
And Carra really knows how to connect the dots!
- ''Select what you want to keep and move. Your house will be a mess but just take one room at a time.. purging and keeping ONLY WHAT YOU LOVE. Then have family and friends come and take what they want before you start selling. Margaret Rome owner of Home Rome Realty in Baltimore, Maryland and Kathy Streib, Home Stager in Palm Beach County, Florida joined me on a Hangout On Air where we talked about "Finding Your Happy Place" We discussed the anxiety that most people go through in making any type of move and how to make it fun! Watch our fun video and see how easy a transition across country can be.''
Connecting A Cross Country Move with the Transition Living Real Estate Team™ can be easy when you have a master plan!
Join The Transition Living Real Estate Team™ for Episode #2 Connecting the Cross Country Move on Friday, April 1, 2016 at 12:30 pm EDT, 11:30 am CDT, 10:30 am MDT and 9:30 am PDT.
Watch below on April 1st or join us through the event and meet people from across the country going through the same issues.
Living in one location for over 40 years and thinking about a cross country move can be daunting.
Deciding what to move, what to sell, what to give away, figuring out how the actual move will take place with the movers, arriving in the new location can be overwhelming without some direction.
Nancy Harrison CS, our guest, in the Hangout On Air, from Signal Mountain, Tennessee will share some of the issues her family was having with making a major move from Alaska to Tennessee for her parents.
Starting with a simple structure will help connect all the parts in a cross country move. Each tranisiton is unique and the details of the sale and purchase of a replacement home are never the same. Working from an organized basis will have connect all the moving dots and create balance in the midst of chaos.
- Decide where you want to move and why
- Pre-qualify to make the replacement home purchase easier in the new location
- What family members or friends might be able to help with the move... can you pay them?
- Organizing the move.. remember you only need 1 of everything in your kitchen.
- Deciding what to keep and what to move.. if you don't LOVE it.. don't keep it!
- Organize all the items to be MOVED first and put them in a separate location
- Determine if you want to use an estate sale company who will take away anything not sold or sell it yourself. Remember the return on the time invested to have garage sales adds to anxiety.
- If listing the house and the sale items are around make a list and price of each item with a space for the phone number so if the items are needed for showing before the sale then any buyer may write their name down and you can call after the home sells.
- Timing for the movers... get into camping mode. Paper plates or eat out.
- Closing via mail or simultaneous closing. Coordinate 3 to 5 day rent backs.
- Having a family member helping you on the plane will take off a lot of the moving pressure. If they come in early they can help with the packing and sorting. Paying their air fare is a wonderful gift.
- Camping in the replacement home.
- Make a list of staples you need at the grocery store and have a family member get the for you or a concierge service deliver them. You can always go to the store the next day
Enjoy the journey.. it is the beginning of a "New Purpose" and "New Memories".....you have a choice to make it fun and exciting!
As the transition takes place "lean" is the state of mind you need to be in. Less is MORE!
A few #CowTips for connecting the transition dots of a move!
- Select what you want to keep and move. Your house will be a mess but just take one room at a time.. purging and keeping ONLY WHAT YOU LOVE. Then have family and friends come and take what they want before you start selling. Margaret Rome owner of Home Rome Realty in Baltimore, Maryland and Kathy Streib, Home Stager in Palm Beach County, Florida joined me on a Hangout On Air where we talked about "Finding Your Happy Place" We discussed the anxiety that most people go through in making any type of move and how to make it fun! Watch our fun video and see how easy a transition across country can be.
- Don't feel bad about asking the person that gave you something special if they would like it back. You can't move everything, so let them know how much you enjoyed it but want them to have it back if they would like to enjoy it as you move on.
- Take digital photos of anything you might miss and make a printed book of your treasures you can look at anytime you feel blue about missing them.Once you have worked though the "separation anxiety" of purging your STUFF you will feel light and free to enjoy the new life you have ahead.
For more Transition Living Real Estate Team™ ideas on making any transition, subscribe to the Real Estate youtube channel
Great tips and tricks to have fun while changing locations in life! It's a mind set! "Connecting A Cross Country Move" can be easy when you have a plan to work.